Pages

All Because of Chickens

Monday, May 27, 2013

A MOST UNLIKELY WRITER

Hi. My name's Beverly Stowe McClure, and I'm so happy to be here today.


If anyone told me I’d be a writer someday, I’d have thought they were crazy. When I was young, I hated to read. Even though my eighth-grade-teacher sent my poem “Stars” to a high school anthology and it was published in Young America Sings, I hated to write. In spite of my rocky relationship with literature, I graduated from high school, attended the university (which meant a lot of reading), and earned a Bachelor of Science in Education degree. I then became a teacher, which meant more reading. What was I thinking?

A funny thing happened in my new career, however. Reading great Newbery books with my students and reading to my sons made me realize what I’d been missing. Reading was fun. The classroom offered such great ideas for articles, I even started to write, mostly non-fiction about science activities and art projects we did. To my surprise some were published. My work appears in Humpty Dumpty, Jack and Jill, Ladybug, Focus on the Family Clubhouse Jr. and other leading children’s magazines. My breakthrough article is in the June, 2007, issue of The Writer magazine.

Then I graduated to writing novels. My MG/Tween Paranormal A Pirate, a Blockade Runner, and a Cat, published by MuseItUp, is my ninth novel. My article “Traveler” also appeared in Chicken Soup for the Soul, What I Learned from the Dog. My YA Historical Fiction Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines, Twilight Times Books, has won a few awards. Two of my manuscripts are now under contract, with a couple more stories soon to be finished. So to all my former teachers, who despaired over my lack of reading and writing skills, I did it. Thanks.

I live in the country with my husband, two cats, and a variety of critters that stop by for a handout. We have four sons, one an angel in heaven; five granddaughters, one an angel in heaven; two grandsons, and three great-grands.

You can learn more about me (unless you’ve had enough J ) at:

http://beverlystowemcclure.wordpress.com

http://beverlystowemcclure.blogspot.com

http://www.facebook.com/beverlysmcclure

https://twitter.com/beverlymcclure


Here’s a blurb from A Pirate, a Blockade Runner, and a Cat

Thirteen-year-old Erik Burks’ life is falling apart. When he discovers a lace bra in the glove compartment of his dad’s car, his mom leaves his father and drags Erik from being king of the hill in Texas to the bottom of the pits in South Carolina. No Dad, no baseball, no friends, just Starry Knight (a girl who reads minds) and her equally weird brother, Stormy, the twins that live down the block.

Just when Erik thinks life can’t get any worse, while hanging out at the beach one evening, he and the twins notice lights radiating from the lighthouse. The only problem is the lighthouse was deactivated years ago. Stranger still, a ship materializes in the moonlit harbor. Curious, the twins and a reluctant Erik investigate and discover the ghost of a blockade runner, a phantom cat, and a pirate who prowls Charleston Harbor, all searching for rest.

A former nonbeliever in the existence of ghosts, Erik cannot deny the proof before him. And he has a revelation: The ghosts may be the answer to his desire to return home. Erik soon makes a deal with the ghosts. He’ll help them find what they’re looking for so their spirits can rest in peace. In return, the ghosts will scare Erik’s mother so she’ll be on the next flight back to Texas. Star thinks his plan stinks, but Erik wants his life back, even at the cost of his mother’s sanity.

###

Available at

MuseItUp: http://bit.ly/13kSy3h

Amazon: http://amzn.to/WWZTAH

And other online stores.

5 comments:

  1. Well, I'm way late with this, but a lot is happening in my life so my mind is stretched in many directions. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Beverly. Great to see your post. I love your story of overcoming the odds. I also loved A Pirate, A Blockade Runner and a Cat. Great middle grade for boys. Hope you have tons of success with it. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kai. It's been an interesting journey. I've enjoyed every minute, well, except for those "No thank yous, this story is not for us." :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for participating and leaving us a comment.