Pages

All Because of Chickens

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Interview with Penny Estrelle, author of Flash to the Past



Tell us something about yourself


I’m retired after working as a school secretary for twenty-one years.  My husband and I live off the grid on a fifty-four acre ranch in very rural Arizona.  Between the two of us we have five kids and seven grandchildren.

What prompted you to write your book?

Flash to the Past is Book 3 of the Wickware Sagas.  I was ecstatic when MuseItUp asked me to do a series, which will include 5 stories, total.


Your main character travels back in time to 1776. How much research did you have to do and how did you go about it?

The Wickware Sagas are about 21 Century kids that go back in time, and meet the subject of an assignment they have drawn in class.  Once I figured out who/what the subject would be I had to do quite a bit of research.  History and I were enemies in school.  I wanted nothing to do with it!


What would you like readers to take away from your book?

That history is not an enemy.  It is truly interesting, which I have learned in my golden years, and I’m trying to make it fun for kids to learn a few facts about some historical events and heroes.


Do you have any themes that recur in your books?

As a matter of fact I do – Miss Wickware, the 7/8 grade history teacher, is the key to how these kids do a little time travel.  In each of the five stories, the readers get a glimpse of Miss Wickware’s powers.


What are you working on now?

I’m working on a story called
The Unwanted Christmas Guest.  This is a story that will be for the older folks.  It is a romance of sorts.  I also write adult stories under P. A. Estelle.



How did you get started writing?

I think I’m like millions of people in this world, that reads a book and thinks, “I can do that.  How hard can it be?”  Silly, silly girl!  I started writing seriously when I retired.  My story, Hike Up Devil’s Mountain, was the first story for kids to be picked up.  My daughter was teaching fifth grade and read my first three chapters to her class.  They all wanted more and that’s what kept me motivated.



Where can readers find you on the web?www.pennystales.com







Excerpt


“What a jerk!” Kristy hollered, hoping Larry heard her.  “Like that little twerp could protect me!”  She looked around.  Not a sound could be heard.  No birds, no rustling of leaves, nothing.  She opened her mouth to call Larry back, but stopped herself.  “He’ll be back!”  Kristy was beginning to regret her outburst when Larry came around the bend in the road, running as fast as he could.
Her “I knew it” smirk faded when she saw the frantic look on his face.  He grabbed her arm and dragged her into the group of trees, tripping them both, rolling into the brush.
“What’s your…” Her words were smothered as Larry’s hand clamped over her mouth.  Kristy’s outrage lasted only seconds when a group of horses, ridden by men in red coats, galloped by.
When the dust cleared, they continued to sit in stunned silence.  A hard gnashing of teeth clamped down on Larry’s finger, snapping him painfully out of his trance.  “Ouch!” he yelped, pulling his finger from her teeth.
“Well, get your hand off my mouth!” she growled.  They got up and brushed leaves off their clothes, glaring at each other.  “Did you think, maybe for one second, those guys could have helped us figure out where the heck we are?”  Kristy asked, hands on hips.





http://museituppublishing.com/bookstore2/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=758&category_id=58&manufacturer_id=244&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for letting me stop by Margaret. I appreciate it!

    Penny Estelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview. I didn't know about this series. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl. Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate the "look/see"

      Penny

      Delete
  3. I read Billy Cooper's Awesome Nightmare and loved it and so did my son. I didn't realize there were more! We will be picking these up. Thank you for the update.

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for participating and leaving us a comment.