Pages

All Because of Chickens

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Meet Kim Baccellia



My just released book is NO MORE GODDESSES  Link: http://www.zumayapublications.com/title.php?id=301


Tell us something about yourself


I’m a YA author, homeschool mom, and reviewer.  I love yoga, chocolate, facials, bittersweet love stories,
and 80s music.
What prompted you to write your book?


After getting the 70th rejection for CROSSED OUT I decided to write a lighter, younger YA story with romance.  But if you know me, light horror/fantasy element came into the storyline.  Basically NO MORE GODDESSES was my attempt to take the whole lemon experience of rejections and turn it into lemonade.
 How much research did you have to do and how did you go about it?


First off I wanted Jordan Lake to have a favorite icon that she loved.  It had to be a classic actress.  Audrey Hepburn came to mind.  I ended up devouring all I could about her and fell in love with her too!  My favorite AH movie has to be THE NUN’S STORY.  Jordan’s list came from the one Audrey Hepburn’s character makes in WAR AND PEACE.  Book two will see more references to FUNNY FACE as Jordan will travel to Paris!


Then I had to research the Egyptian part for the mischievous goddess.  I chose Hathor as she’s the Egyptian goddess of love.  My sister has been studying to be an Egyptologist and helped me with finding ancient text and other material.


Also I got permission from an actual present day Isis Priestess to use one of her hymns which was pretty cool.

What would you like readers to take away from your book?


NO MORE GODDESSES is more of a lighter story that I hope will leave readers with a smile.  I hope they can be engaged with Jordan, Selena, and Andrew’s adventures enough to want to continue with book two!  Yes, I signed a contract for a second book!  And it would be fun for readers to rediscover Audrey Hepburn and see her magic.  
Do you have any themes that recur in your books?


This one is basically be careful what you wish for because it might come true with not too fun consequences.
What are you working on now?


I’m currently working on book two in the goddesses series.  I’m also going over a revision of an edgier multicultural YA set in the not too distinct future.  This one is more suspense/thriller and might even end up becoming New Adult.  Right now just polishing it up enough before I send it out.

How did you get started writing?


I’ve always been writing.  Even when I was a bilingual teacher?  My main emphasis in English Language Arts had to be the writing component or Writer’s workshop.  My students and I have been mentioned in the South Whittier Newspaper in the 1990s.  To me I loved to see my second language learners embrace reading and writing.  I then thought, why don’t I practice what I preach and actually write too!  The rest is history!
Where can readers find you on the web?


I’m @ixtumea on Twitter
I’m @kbaccellia on FB
My website is www.kim-baccellia.com
I’m also an editor/reviewer at YA Books Central: http://www.yabookscentral.com/
EXCERPT


Heart-shaped posters announcing <i>Candygrams! 25 cents! were plastered all over campus. It was here, the day I had anticipated with dread and hope, although it would probably end in disappointment.


As if the guy I drooled over would actually send me one.


I dreamed of the moment anyway. Every night since the announcement, I had played it all out in my head. I would be so cool, so sophisticated—just like Audrey Hepburn in <i>Tessa’s Treasure.


If I closed my eyes, I knew I’d go right to that dream, but then I’d risk being battered by the throng of students bumping and jostling in the overcrowded hall. Thank God there had never been a real emergency. Us lowly freshmen would be floor splatter.
Then, like the parting of the Red Sea, the crowd flowed to the sides of the hall as the star of my dreams, Ethan Taylor, and his bunch of basketball friends walked down the center, flipping their heads and waving as if they owned the place. Who am I kidding? They did. They <i>were McKnight High.


“There he is,” said my best friend Selena Garza with a subtle wag of her eyebrows. Lost in all the Candygram stuff, I’d almost forgotten she was there. “Go talk to him.”


Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Thank you for participating and leaving us a comment.