Pages

All Because of Chickens

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

WHAT'S IT LIKE TO BE A WRITER?

Are you a writer? If so you'll know what I'm talking about.
Do you want to be a writer? If so, best of luck to you.
Here are some of my thoughts, both joys and stress of being a writer.
Of course, this applies to me. Everyone is different. Tell us your joys and stress.
 
First, here's my desk where I let my imagination go wild.
 
 
How I write!
 
I seldom make an outline. When a little voice whispers in my ear, telling me his/her story, I sit down at the computer and start writing. I let the character(s) show me the way. I ask them questions, and hopefully they give me answers. Sometimes I jot down what I think will happen next or in a later chapter. Sometimes the story happens that way; other times not.
 
I work better when I have a schedule. Since I usually write more than one story at a time, each day I plan which story to work on that day. On a yellow tablet I list my goals for the day. I do not always reach them. No problem. I circle the ones I did not accomplish to work on the next day.
 
Writing brings me joy. When the final two words, THE END, are written, I've accomplished my goal. Then the revisions start. In the meantime, I may be editing a forthcoming story for my editor. If that's happening, I set aside time to edit.
 
Writing is also stressful at times. When I spend all morning on one paragraph, and it still isn't right, frustration sets in. Time to put the story aside for another day. Also, waiting to hear on a submission can have me biting my fingernails. Does the publisher like the story? Does it stink? Should I give up and go back to teaching? All sorts of doubts about my ability as a writer surface.
 
Do I quit? No way. I suck in a breath and face my characters, hoping they have wonderful ideas for me today.
 
Happy Writing.
 
 


8 comments:

  1. I love how relaxed your sound, Beverly! I need to adopt your attitude and laid back method. Maybe then I'll stop stressing when I write drafts #1.

    Sheri at Writer's Alley

    Home of Rebel Writer CREED 2014
    Mighty Minion Bureau Team #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, Sheri. I think learning to relax comes with age. The older I get the less most things bother me. My mother always said "If it doesn't get done today, there's always tomorrow, and if tomorrow never comes it doesn't matter." So stop stressing. It will turn out okay.

      Delete
  2. I'm writing two novels at the moment, and try and write at least two pages a day.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Andrew. Having goals, such as a set number of pages to write each day gives you motivation. And what a sense of accomplishment when you reach those goals. Best of luck to you.

      Delete
  3. What a nice, neat workspace, and such good advice. Thanks for sharing, Beverly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. It's fun seeing other authors' work space and how they spend their days. Have a super weekend.

      Delete
  4. Asking your characters questions is such a good idea, Beverly. Thanks for sharing that. Happy Writing to you too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And sometimes the characters' answers surprise us, Wendy. :) You're welcome.

      Delete

Thank you for participating and leaving us a comment.