Pages

All Because of Chickens

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

My Writing Space

My study is my favourite room. I spend much of the day and night here. Mostly I'm at the computer but sometimes I clear my desk and replace the computer with my sewing machine. I'm not sure which makes the most mess, threads and material scraps or books, papers and notepads. Either way, I feel I'm in a cosy cocoon. And I'm never alone.





Spitzli is always with me.












It's funny, but even when she is outside in the garden, I still sense her presence on her mat beside me.









Some writers are wonderfully self disciplined and stick to a writing routine. Not me. I need a deadline to meet when I write, even if I have to create one, myself.  With my current work in progress, I am sending each finished chapter to my cousin who pushes me to write the next one. With earlier works, I sent chapters to critique groups and needed to keep writing to keep up with the other members. The added benefit of this method is the valuable feedback which helps correct flaws and provides encouragement as I go.

Completing the first draft is torture for me, and yet, when it's done there is that unimaginable satisfaction of coming from, 'I can't do it. It's impossible.' to 'It's done. I achieved the impossible.'

But you know what I love best about writing? Editing what I've written. Having the complete story in front of me ready to be rubbed and scrubbed, pruned and polished, removing the tarnish until it gleams, that's the joy of writing for me.  :)

 

8 comments:

  1. What a sweet little dog. My cats like to walk on my keyboard. They make the weirdest words. It is a wonderful feeling to look at the completed first draft and say "I did it." Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something special about having our furry friends share our favourite space, isn't there? Although, Spitzli hasn't 'typed' anything on the keyboard yet, not like your clever kitties, Beverly :) I'll bet, one day, you'll use one of those weird words in a story.

      Delete
  2. As writers, I love that we all have our rituals and those who share our space with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, yes writers have rituals. Mine is to pull my hair out for several months and then eventually sit up and pat myself on the back, hehehe, while Spitzli sleeps and waits for me step into the hall. Then we play 'tag' in and out of the rooms until we tire and fall back into our routines. I wouldn't have it any other way.

      Delete
  3. Your study looks very cozy and appealing, Wendy. And you reminded me of one of my favorite quotes: "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." ~Walt Disney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Heather,
    I hadn't heard of the Disney quote. It is fun to do the impossible and writers do it twice whenever we write. First we overcome our internal editor who insists we can't do it, and second we let our characters succeed in the impossible situations we place them in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spitzli looks like a great writing companion. Can't wait to read you next book!

    Love
    Gabriela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Gabriela. Yes she is. That's lovely you can't wait to read my next book. That spurs me on to write faster. :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for participating and leaving us a comment.