Pages

All Because of Chickens

Monday, July 14, 2014

What is it About Fairy Tales? by Mary Waibel



Fairytales. What is it about these stories that capture our imaginations? Is it the magic? The fantastical creatures? The happily-ever-after?

I have several DVD's of classic fairytales. Disney's Sleeping Beauty, Beauty and the Beast, as well as Rodger's and Hammerstein's Cinderella, and Warner Brother's Quest for Camelot. (Yes, I know this isn't a true fairytale, but humor me.) In fact, I drew heavily on Sleeping Beauty and Quest for Camelot for inspiration while writing Quest of the Hart, the first book in the Princess of Valendria series.



These stories all have several things in common. What are they?

A spell. Whether it be cast by a disgruntled fairy, a fairy godmother, or a knight bent on conquering the world, each of these stories contains a spell. Which leads to our next thing in common.

Magic. Beyond the spell, magic abounds, be it in fantastical creatures, like talking candlesticks, or flower sprites, or dragons. Magic can be used for good, or bad. And magic often leads to a happy-ever-after ending.

ESA/Hubble 


I'm a sucker for this kind of ending. Knowing the guy got the girl (or the girl saved the guy) and they can face all their tomorrows together because of their triumph is such a satisfying ending for me.

Now, it's your turn. What other things do you think these stories have in common? Please share your thoughts in the comments.



About the Author:
Mary Waibel is the author of the Princess of Valendria series which includes: Quest of the Hart, Charmed Memories, and Different Kind of Knight. She loves hearing from readers and can be found at these sites:
Website: http://marywaibel.blogspot.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authormarywaibel
Twitter: https://twitter.com/mewtweety14








2 comments:

  1. I agree, I think fairy tales can make a good core for any number of stories. Since you asked, Mary, I think the villains in fairy tales have a big impact on us and their evil is overcome one way or another. The Queen in Snow White, the stepmother in Cinderella, Cpt Hook in Peter Pan, they are all larger than life and have real motives. The one that affected me the most as a child was the witch in Hansel & Gretel because of what the children needed to do to her to survive. I didn't read that one to my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I love fairy tales. The magic, the happy endings, usually. The fantasy, losing myself in another world of handsome princes and beautiful princesses. Even cute little dwarfs. Imagining myself there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for participating and leaving us a comment.