Pages

All Because of Chickens

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Saturday Morning Musings: Sept. 26 2015: The after reading emotion, thoughts



Reading is about escape and enjoyment. While in school it may seem more like homework and something we had to do…which is a quick fire buzzkill…reading is fun. And it will become fun again once you get past that whole “must do” aspect of it.



Reading allows us to forget what’s going around us and live other lives, if only for a few minutes each day. And that’s what writers want…your enjoyment in their worlds and words.



However, you might be surprised to find out there are other elements we writers hope you discover, feel, so here’s our musing for this Saturday…

                                                                                                                                    

…after reading your story, what do you hope/want the reader to walk away...feeling, thinking...








After reading any of the books in the Princess of Valendria series I'd be thrilled to hear that a reader learned something new, or formed a new book boyfriend (or girlfriend).



But, honestly I'd be happiest to learn my reader walked away with a sense of enjoyment. To know that they felt their investment of time and money was well spent traveling through the lands of Valendria with my heroes and heroines. And I'd be honored and humbled to know that they want to return for new stories or re-read past tales.



So, if you've read any of the series, drop me a line and let me know what you thought. If you haven't read them, let me know if you do. I'd love to hear from you!








After reading War Unicorn, my readers should feel an affinity with Reg, after going through his inner struggles and outward battles, and being forced to make difficult choices with family and friends. As an author, I want my readers to be so wrapped up in my story that when they look up, they wonder for a moment where they are - in my book setting or in their own reality. They should feel that War Unicorn is complete, but want to read more...and there will be more!






For me it varies from project to project. First and foremost with each book, I want people to be entertained. As for In a Pickle, I also want readers to walk away feeling hopeful and to see the importance of being kind. Bullying is a major theme in this book, something I know a lot of kids (and adults) deal with in real life. Like ripples in a pond, just one act of kindness can change the course of someone's life. One bad decision, one good decision. Everything has an effect on the outcome of things.



Another thing I want for my young and not-so-young readers is for them to KEEP READING! Never give up on your imagination. If my books can encourage readers to pick up another book, I have ultimately done the job I am meant to do.






After reading my story I want the reader to side with my main character and feel that she or he has been able to triumph with a solution to her or his problem. Also I want the reader to think she or he got to this place by understanding and by the help of their friends. Of course I want my reader to ask: What happens next and be waiting to find out from the next book if a series. Or if not wanting to read my next book because they love my writing!






The first book in my trilogy, Country and The Rock, shows the reader how important friendship is. The story revolves around a young alien that want to know what it's like to be a boy on Earth. The protagonist, Sean 'Country' West, and his friends show him while giving him another lesson on what a true friend is.








This is the reaction I hope people get from my books. I want them to feel like they've been on an adventure and escaped from reality for a little while. I hope they enjoy the story, relate to the characters and it makes enough of an impression that they check to see if I've written other things.








I want my readers to end up being a bit more open-minded about those who are not like themselves. I want them to be able to appreciate that there are more points of view than their own. I want to jolt them out of complacency. I also want to startle and amaze them with dazzling vistas of alien planets and a universe where mind-to-mind communication is a reality.






First and foremost, I want my readers to be smiling when they finish my story. If they didn't enjoy it enough to smile then I failed as an author. I also want my characters to show them that everyone has struggles. Many kids, especially Tweens, feel like no one understands them and they are alone in what they are going through. I hope I can show them that things aren't always what they seem, so they can begin to develop empathy for others.







Keep reading and dreaming. If there’s anything you’re curious about just drop me a note: MuseChrisChat@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for participating and leaving us a comment.