Pages

All Because of Chickens

Saturday, October 10, 2015

Saturday Morning Musings: Best Halloween Book









Morning,

Authors are readers and today a couple of us want to share our favourite Halloween book…care to share your favourite?




I've always loved It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown by Charles Schultz (both the book and the cartoon.) With famous scenes like the World War I Flying Ace, Charlie Brown's hole filled costume, and Linus' lament in the pumpkin patch, it captures the heart of Halloween.

But while Halloween is about dressing up and going trick-or-treating, it's also about spooky and scary things.

Slumber Party, by Christopher Pike, might not be a Halloween book but it is the first horror novel I ever read. And it stuck with me all these years. With a hint of romance, and fear that no one will survive the weekend, it kept me turning pages well after my lights were supposed to be out!

 

My favorite was (and probably still is) The Biggest Pumpkin Ever by Steven Kroll (author) and Jeni Bassett (illustrator.) I love the premise and the pictures. Mm. Makes me want to hunt up my old copy and read it again.



I don't write this genre, although I have roughed-out ideas, just nothing written fully out. However, my daughter ordered this book from school "The 13 Ghosts of Halloween" by Robin Muller. It reads like the 12 Days of Christmas. It's a fun silly read and one of our favourites. And, of course, anything with Scooby Doo.



 I love It's The Great Pumpkin , Charlie Brown, but today I ran across a great book for this
 season. It's called Too Many Pumpkins by Linda White. I think it's funny and beautifully illustrated.

For a scary story that will keep kids on the edge try Pirates by Drew Lamm. The illustrations are even scary, but older kids will get the idea and think it's fun.



Keep reading and dreaming. If there’s anything you’re curious about just drop me a note: MuseChrisChat@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Scooby Doo is an all time favorite at my house. I love that it's a show I watched as a kid and then both my girls grew up watching it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for participating and leaving us a comment.