Pages

All Because of Chickens

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Saturday Morning Musings: Fave Holiday Movies/Shows

Happy Saturday!


Now you know we love books, but we also have our favourite holiday movies and shows. Mine happens to be The Little Drummer Boy, the claymation version. Let's visit some other faves...




There are very few movies or shows that I like to watch more than once, so I don't have a favourite one for the holiday season. But, if I had to select a movie, it would have to be a fantasy story or an epic fairy tale which includes lots of magic. A good choice would be the 1985 movie, 'Legend' which starred a very young Tom Cruise, or perhaps a more modern film, like 'The Hobbit.' Such a magical season calls for a magical movie. (Chris...loved 'Legend' but more for Tim Curry)



My favourite holiday show is definitely the annual Doctor Who Christmas special. It's a full-length movie and is usually one of the best episodes. I'm really excited for this year's, especially with Riversong returning (she is a character who has been absent for the last few years). Given that last year's show wasn't that great, I'm really hoping things will turn around this year. I always like to watch it with my sister and our mom; it's become a Christmas tradition.


Alix Richards, author

What’s my favorite holiday movie/show? Oh boy, that’s a big one. I LOVE them all! I look forward to the original holiday movies as a child I watched each season. You know, White Christmas and Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol, Miracle on 34th Street and the animated cartoons from the 60s, of Santa Claus and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Those were the staple for the winter holiday season. To me it wasn’t really the holidays without them. As time moved on and I grew, over the years my to-watch list has grown. I’ve added The Polar Express and other versions of A Christmas Carol, enjoying them just as much as the beloved classics. And yes, each season I look forward to watching each of them. Though, now, I own them on Blu-Ray and DVD and you can start watching holiday movies the beginning of November, I avoid doing so until after Thanksgiving (I’m from the U.S.). To me, it just doesn’t seem right to watch them before then. Maybe it’s that left over from when you couldn’t watch television 24/7 and had to wait for the right time of year to catch them. Don’t know. But I do so look forward to them. They just put me in the holiday spirit.



Elf, Love Actually, and Nightmare Before Christmas- all are great.  (Chris...am I bad for having just now watched Nightmare Before Christmas?)



I love all the Rankin Bass stop motion animated Christmas shows. The Year Without a Santa Claus, Rudolph, Frosty the Snowman, The Little Drummer Boy, and Santa Claus is Coming to Town. But my favorite show is The Night Before Christmas, where the family of mice work to save the clock tower.



My favourite holiday movie is The Snowman. It's been around since I was a kid, and every year it is usually shown on one or other of the TV channels we got in Ireland on Christmas morning. Since it is only half an hour long, I'd sit down and watch it while the rest of the family got themselves together, showering, dressing, preparing lunch, trying out their new stuff.

Those few minutes when Aled Jones - a singer I remember having his fifteen minutes of fame as a choir singer before his voice broke, but who will always have his voice immortalised in that movie - sang "Walking in the Air," disconnected me from the rest of the planet. It was truly as close to magical as you can get once you discover the truth about Christmas.

It was a moment I looked forward to all year. I say looked forward, because now in the age of YouTube I can watch the movie and play the song any day of the year. It's a luxury that the kids of today will never quite understand.

I have played the movie countless times over the past couple of years for my four-year-old and now that the Christmas season is upon us again, I intend to sit down myself with her. Of course, now that she's a little older and I've begun to stretch her movie vocabulary, she's just seen The Polar Express, and is currently enamoured with that. But I'm sure she'll come back when she's older. After she's had her fill of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory....


Keep reading and dreaming. If there’s anything you’re curious about just drop me a note: MuseChrisChat@gmail.com


2 comments:

  1. Ok. I'm in the mood for Christmas now. Must see when all the movies are on TV or else buy the DVD's. Some of these I've seen; others I haven't. It's a Wonderful Life with Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Beverly. Glad you dropped by...yup, movies are a big boost to get into the holiday mood

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for participating and leaving us a comment.