Pages

All Because of Chickens

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Saturday Morning Musings: What inspires our stories


Happy 2016!





It's been a few weeks since we visited, must blame my timing and letting it run away with me. Wish I could say I lost time to reading, sadly that wasn't the case. Don't you just love losing time to reading, though?



Today our authors are sharing what inspires their storylines.








We are inspired to write by the things we see around us.  We saw birds doing acrobatic feats in flight and wrote a book in which a man had been turned into a pigeon. Carved stone faces on the buildings in New York City inspired a book about carvings that come to life and are threatened by demolition making way for new construction.  A stone in the shape of a man’s face resulted in a story about beach stones that come to life and help a young girl through a difficult time in her life.








I find that ideas for stories can come from the most unlikely of sources. The first time I heard anyone talk about a 'thin place', it was during a church sermon. I became intrigued at the concept, and that inspired me to write 'Daffodil and the Thin Place' - my first published novel. A story I've just finished writing about garden gnomes, was written in response to a list of ten unrelated items, which was the writing prompt at my writers' group. I wrote a short story about the tiny characters and found them so appealing, I wanted to write them into more adventures. I've recently been thinking about a sequel to 'Daffodil and the Thin Place' and will probably use some of the information I've researched while studying about World War One. So, I'd say that pretty much anything can inspire a story.





TERRI BERTHA, Mainstream NEW author



I think I may have watched too much 'Twilight Zone' and 'Outer Limits' when I was younger.  :-)



Seriously,  I go back in my own 12 year old memories and try to think about going outside the box and come up with some crazy 'what if' scenarios.  I am also the mother of two boys, (older now) so I think that helps dialogue.



One of my favorite things to do is watch people and observe them.  Maybe that's a Virgo trait?  By watching and observing, I try to think about peoples lives and create characters I think would be funny, unusual or just not your 'normal' person.  Are any of us 'normal'? After all, we all have a little craziness in us, so in writing, we can let that craziness out.  :-)










As a teacher and guidance counselor, I've spent the past thirty-four years working with, talking to, teaching, laughing with, guiding, and moving into real friendship with young people. Their concerns, problems, victories, and questions are the grist of what I write when I write for middle grade, young, young adult, and new adult stories. The amazing thing is that whether I'm writing about young people trapped by a forest fire in 1895, teens in the middle of the 21st Century, or kids growing up in the skies of a massive Jovian far distant in both space and time -- issues and young people are more alike than they are different. It's from the young people I know NOW that I draw my ideas and storylines.








My stories are inspired by things around me; my experiences, social events, or by the characters in my previously written books.



For instance, I feed the birds and watching them led to a series of manuscripts about the adventures of Timothy Titmouse.  A light romance, A Girl Like You, that will be coming out in the March/April timeframe deals with the social issue of an unplanned pregnancy.  My first eBook of the Half-Dozen Series, All Because of Chickens (Nov. 2013) was based on the experiences of our family when we raised chickens.  However, the second eBook of this series, due out in the fall/winter timeframe, Lessons From the Sheepfold, as well as the third sequel, a work-in-progress, were inspired by the adventures and interests of the characters, themselves.



Anything and everything can cause inspiration for bits and pieces, if not whole scenes, that can play a part in a story—or turn into a complete work.







Keep reading and dreaming. If there’s anything you’re curious about just drop me a note: MuseChrisChat@gmail.com




1 comment:

  1. From our Muse author David J. O'Brien:

    I think the ideas for my Young Adult and Children's stories come from the same place as the ideas for Adult books; just simply popping into my head in some circumstances, and/or wondering "what if," from a scientific point of view.

    Usually when they come they are accompanied by the characters who would best describe and carry forward that story, the point of view from which such a story is best related. That can be either adult or not.

    In the case of my YA paranormal novel The Soul of Adam Short, I knew that while anyone could have an extraordinary experience like Adam had, only a teenager would have the passion and the rebellion needed to go about solving the mystery and resolving that situation in the face of his or her own beliefs, and much more importantly, the disapproval and even scorn of those around them.

    Similarly, for a story about the reality of Leprechauns in Ireland, only the sharper senses and more open worldview of a child would be able to detect what others don't notice, and, of course, not immediately dismiss it as imagination or a trick of the light. In the same vein, most adults would just skip over a child's assertions without too much fuss, while an adult declaring that he'd seen a Leprechaun has always been received with derision and scoffing, and questions about how many pints had been drunk the previous evening.

    On the other hand, the truth behind the werewolf myth or the ecology of the mysterious Loch Ness are things that only adults can come to grips with...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for participating and leaving us a comment.