Pages

All Because of Chickens

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Interview with Guy Stewart



Today we have the privilege of interviewing 
Guy Stewart, author of Victory of Fists
his newest release.


Name me 3 things readers would find interesting about you.
           
I’ve been a science teacher for 31 years; I am an avid tent camper; I love walking alone in the woods.

Who are some of your favorite authors?
           
Julie Czerneda, David Brin, Lois McMaster Bujold, Jack McDevitt, Jan Karol

What motivated you to become a writer and at what age?
           
When I was 12, I’d just finished reading the WHITE MOUNTAINS trilogy by John Christopher – I wanted more, so I wrote “The White Vines”…

What 3 words describe you as a person?
           
Focused, creative, funny

What 3 words describe you as a writer?
           
Focused, creative, serious

When not writing, how do you spend your time? Hobbies?
           
I read, bike, go camping, watch movies, garden, and cook with my wife

Do you remember the first story you ever read, and the impact it had on you?
           
I read “Gallons of Guppies” and after decades of looking, found out it was a Beverly Cleary “Henry Huggins” story. I got guppies for myself and I’ve been hooked on aquariums ever since!

Describe your desk.
           
My laptop on a TV tray collapsible table, a rocker, lamp table and a light. Underneath the table are LOTS of files!

Who is the main character?
           
Langston Hughes Jones

What is his story?
           
Langston is incredibly smart – and angry. In order to be a biomechanical engineer, he has to conquer his anger. He does it by writing poetry to bleed off the rage.

Where/when does the story take place?
           
In and around a 21st century near-urban high school – just like the one I work in.

How did the story come to you? And why?
           
I’d sent a YA novel to an agent and he wrote back that it wasn’t “edgy”. Muttering, “I’ll show YOU edgy!”, I wrote this book using the high school I knew, a mash up of students and teachers I know (except for Mr. Lamprecht, he’s strictly from my imagination) -- and I wrote it because I’ve read hundreds of poems written by young people I know.

Who is your target audience?
           
High school students

What makes your book different from other similar ones?
           
Simple: it’s poetry coupled with fighting…

What do your fans mean to you?
           
I don’t think I have any, but if I did, I think they like that I’m honest and pretty “cool” under pressure…usually.

Where do you get the inspirations for your book(s)?
           
Life + other stories + news = novels

Any advice for new writers just beginning this trek down the wonderful world of publishing?
           
Read, write, finish, send, REPEAT!

Victory of Fists


Langston Hughes Jones is a warrior-poet whocan’t always control the warrior part of himself.
Writing in his spiral-bound notebook heads off some of the face punching joy.
Langston’s ex-best-friend-now-worst-enemy is out to provoke him into fighting.If Langstongets caught, he won’t graduate, he will humiliate his mom, grandma, cousin, and the vice-principal who believes in him.
Battered and bloody Langston discovers that:
To me,
victory always meant pounding someone ‘til
bleeding or crying or unconscious they give me what I want.
But victory can be more.
Surrender in the face of overwhelming odds
like Argentina,
or
surrender with power, choosing to go down…


Also available at:


1 comment:

Thank you for participating and leaving us a comment.