Pages

All Because of Chickens

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Saturday Morning Musings: Pseudonyms for this age genre?




Hello Saturday!

Now I do love every day of the week, yes, even Mondays. However, I have really looked forward to today. Need this weekend to catch up and sit back. And, hopefully get some writing done.

Which leads to this weeks' musings...should writers of other genres use a pseudonym when writing Middle Grade, Tween, Teen, even YA stories? Musers have talked on this regarding another genre, but never thought of it in this manner. Let's see what our Musers are thinking:



I have thought about that question a lot. Should I use a pseudonym if I published an adult story with erotic elements in it. My conclusion was yes, because the two genres are completely different. Perhaps I might lose some of my readers by using it, but since my books are YA for ages 10 and up there is also a possibility that some of my readers are old enough to enjoy that genre. So if I ever decided to publish the one adult story I have written I would use the name Tracy Joyce. I decided on that because I like the first name and the last name is my middle name.

On the other hand, I’m not sure if a writer from another genre needs a pseudonym to write YA, Tween or Middle Grade books. Some genres, such as mystery and historical novels might not have any elements in them that would be iffy for kids to read. Also, if such authors did change their name they might lose their readership. Finding new readers is difficult and why have to start all over again? An example of this is James Patterson, an author of murder mysteries who has branched into the YA and Middle Grade field with his own name intact.

Finally, in the end, authors like readers and i think keeping your name intact is the way to encourage more readers for the new genre. The only exception I would say is the opposite as I mentioned earlier. When you are going from YA to a more adult genre you might want to think twice about using your own name.


TERRI BERTHA, Mainstream NEW author

Reality is, many genres are gender associated, and risk exists in trying to make your 'same name' successful when writing in a new genre.  People perceive a writer as having only one area of expertise.  Being penned can change this perception and also allows the writer to ‘gender swap’.

In deciding to use a pen name, will success, reputation, credibility and sales be tarnished or risked if the writer shifts genres?  Will readers be disappointed or skeptic that the author is switching genres instead of writing books in the original genre?  Will readers think the original genre is not going to be up to par since the author is writing and publishing multiple books in shorter timeframe?

By using a pen name, the author can demonstrate different writing styles, and have a ‘new beginning’ in their career if their original genre didn’t sell.  A penned manuscript in a different genre brings fresh marketing and sales to the table, and doesn’t get ‘pigeon holed’ on the shelf.

Of course, being an established successful author provides an easy way to get buzz and interest when writing outside your norm.



It depends what the other genres are... If they're not suitable for kids, it's best to use one, just like many writers who start out writing general audience appropriate material use a pseudonym for their erotic stories. I use one myself for my erotic romance novellas, so that when I tell my high school students I write books, they won't find them when they google my name. By the same token, if a child reads your book and loves it and goes looking for more, he or she (they!) shouldn't have to find your erotic romance novels just staring at them. But an adult book, which isn't strictly erotica, is only really going to attract their attention when they are mature enough to read it.



I think writers of genres such as erotica might be sensible to consider using a pseudonym when writing Middle Grade, Tween, Teen, even YA stories, so that they maintain a separate and distinct readership for each genre.

Genres, such as sci-fi, can be found in books for older and younger readers, whereas erotica is written for adults only. Writers of sci-fi and other genres may want to use the same name regardless of their target audience and perhaps encourage younger readers of their books to progress to their books for adult readers.



I am a big believer! One of my books begins with a a violent encounter and concerns dramatic but disturbing way. Another of my books begins with a girl walking into her high school dreading the coming year and concerns teenage tribulations. a secret baby, and reality TV in a humorous way. No need for any crossover, so different author names, types of cover images and descriptions are needed.

Fred Andersen (Wilshire Lewis).



Keep reading and dreaming. If there’s anything you’re curious about just drop me a note: MuseChrisChat@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for participating and leaving us a comment.