Pages

All Because of Chickens

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Saturday Morning Musings: Book influences


Happy Saturday!


It's been a busy week. So much so I can't wait to sit back and relax, maybe even unplug from everything but my eReader. What are your plans? As always we hope they include some reading.

What are we musing on this week? It's actually a complex question for writers and being asked by our Muser TERRI BERTHA, NEW author:

Has there ever been a book that has changed/impacted your life or influenced your writing style?


Complex, because we need to know who we fit in with in order to direct our stories to the right audience, but let's see what our Musers have to offer:



The book that propelled me to become a fantasy writer is The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame. At the age of nine, I read and re-read my copy until it fell apart. I may have been the only child disappointed by the Disney movie, not true enough to the book for me! The Wind in the Willows made me read any fantasy book I could get my hands on. Then I started reading other books in other genres, mysteries, science fiction, nonfiction and more. I read and read and read. That's how I became a writer.

(A few months ago, I re-read The Wind in the Willows and it is still a great read.)



J.R.R.Tolkien's 'The Hobbit' made a great impression on me when I first read it at the age of eight. I'd read or heard lots of children's books but mostly, they seemed to be stories about children, fairies, toys or animals, so I found the characters in Tolkien's book, especially the hobbits, wonderfully intriguing. I was used to stories that were set in worlds which were either the same or similar to real life but 'The Hobbit' was the first book I'd met which was set in an entirely different and fantastic world and I still remember poring over the map at the beginning of the book, painting pictures in my mind of what the places might have looked like. A few years later, I read the C.S. Lewis' 'Chronicles of Narnia' and experienced a similar enchantment at losing myself in the fantasy world of Narnia. All of these books fired my imagination and many years later prompted me to start writing stories of my own.


KURT DYSAN, author

Not just one. I absorb great books and over the years my view on life and my writing have been influenced (in various ways) by books as diverse as FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, THE SUN ALSO RISES, THE UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING, KING RAT, and TROPIC OF CANCER. In addition to novels, collections of short fiction, such as Raymond Carver's FIRES and Maugham's AH KING have been important for me.


ALIX RICHARDS, author:

I believe every book I’ve ever read or will read in the future will change/impact my life and influence my writing style. I don’t normally notice it now, but when I was younger and first started writing (as a child) it was more pronounced and out there. Like when my English teacher assigned a book for the class to read and I saw the small nuances when I went in and worked on the WIP I had going at the time. Those moments aren’t so noticeable now, I’m sure they’re still there, just have grown accustomed to it happening.

Personally, I like to think that anything and everything I read will change and impact my life. Both good and bad. My grandmother and aunts told me that was the way of life. If something doesn’t change/impact your life in some way, then you aren’t reading the right stuff. I took that also to mean influencing my writing in some manner. They said everything in life is about learning and growing. I’d like to believe that every day is just a new lesson in the same old classroom. Don’t get me wrong, I detested school with a passion. However, the school of life isn’t the same as the daily school we’re subjected to while we’re young. I can enjoy this kind of classroom.



Keep reading and dreaming. If there’s anything you’re curious about just drop me a note: MuseChrisChat@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for participating and leaving us a comment.