Pages

All Because of Chickens

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Saturday Morning Musings: Do children/teens reviews count?


Hey, there!  How’s it going? Typing this out everything is chaotic around me, but that’s life and “they” say you’ll learn to roll with the ride. I think I’d rather be on a Merry-go-round.

With my daughter starting high school, I’ve taken a trip down memory lane to my own teen years. The switch from not feeling my opinion matter to learning how to give it so it did. If you’ve ever wondered if your opinion mattered, our Musers are about to let you know ;)


But, before we get there, I did say I’ve been a little chaotic, well I missed two of our Musers’ sharings last week. Here’s Heather’s and Conda’s thoughts on who they would like to collaborate with first:




I'd love to write a book with Peter Straub. He's my favorite author. I've read my favorite book by him, Mystery, over twenty times! I know he would be great at collaboration, since he wrote two books with his friend Stephen King. The thing I like best about Peter Straub's writing is that his descriptions are very visual. It feels like I'm actually seeing the things in his books as I read.




My favorite collaborator would be fantasy author Terry Pratchett. Or him as a mentor, rather, for all that I could have learned from him. After I read my first book by him, I started writing fantasy. One of my biggest goals is to be as great a writer, what a talent.

Sadly he passed away recently. He and his wonderful books are much missed!


Now…do your reviews count…


Yes, children's reviews count - possibly more than adults, if they're our audience. Now that kids choose their own books with their own money (or their parents' credit card), rather than having books bought for them, they're probably more likely to read the reviews of other teens first, and a praise from our target readers is invaluable.



I don't write for pre-adults, but I'd say if that's your market, then absolutely reviews from larval/pupae-stage humans count. They're the target audience, so how could they not. I might question how many would actually post a review, but that's a different question.



All reviews are important but those of children and teens are definitely valuable when writing YA books. I usually find children and teens have definite ideas about what they like to read and can be very blunt when they give their views! But if they are the intended audience, their opinions are vital. Children and teens are often very social media savvy and are used to interacting with each other and websites, so the idea of giving an online review is often quite natural for them.



Keep reading and dreaming. If there’s anything you’re curious about just drop me a note: MuseChrisChat@gmail.com








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for participating and leaving us a comment.