Pages

All Because of Chickens

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Saturday Morning Musings: Fave candy and the memories with it

Welcome to the first Fall Saturday and the last Saturday of September!

Any plans this weekend? Have the leaves started to change colours in your area?

Have you started to think of a Halloween costume? We probably should have kept this question for October, but our Musers are sharing their favourite childhood candies. Some of these candies aren't even around anymore.

Let's get sharing...



I went through various favourites, but the one that stuck with me (probably because it was seasonal back when I was eating it - before I was diagnosed diabetic at 15 and had to curtail my candy eating in those times of sugar-free scarcity) and which I still indulge in if I am at home at the right time and I need a sugar boost, is the Cadbury's Creme Egg. It's luxurious, and I used to eat it in a way that made what's basically two bites of sugar and chocolate into a three course meal. First I scraped the chocolate off the top with my teeth until it cracked and I could scoop out the inside with my tongue, and then nibble away at the chocolate shell. Everyone ate it a different way, and even the advertisements on the telly played up on that, asking how you ate yours. It brings back memories of the build up to Easter - when we used to get eight or ten big chocolate eggs from our aunts and uncles and grandparents, which took weeks to get through, though the first one was gone before breakfast on Easter Sunday morning!



Marathon Bars. {insert wistful sigh}

These were 12 inches (30cm) of caramel braid covered in milk chocolate. It took hours to eat one and ended up as much a fashion statement as a treat. I don't think they've existed since the 1980's.

At the time, we lived in the town of Wanship, Utah, which was a dozen or so houses, a gas station, and a grocery store run by the grandfather of the first girl I had a crush on ( I was 5, Jackie? You out there?), who was also the only kid in town my own age. Others were close, but that means a couple of years older.

Jackie and I would sit on the big green box in front of her shop and talk about things while sharing a Marathon bar. I remember trying to convince her that The Hardy Boys wasn't a scary show because everything was fake, like Scooby Doo.



Kola Cubes have to be the candy I remember with most fondness. I have just looked them up online and apparently, they are 'Retro sweets', so apparently, they are still available although I haven't had one since I was about 10 years old. The memory they conjure up, is of walking home from ballet lessons on a Friday evening. My friend and I were given a small amount of money to spend in the sweet shop and it took us ages to decide on which combination of treats would add up to that sum. A quarter pound bag of Kola Cubes was always obligatory and then, as many other sweets as we could get for the remaining pence! Although I haven't had a Kola Cube for many years, I can conjure up the smell and taste even now!



You, our readers...your fave candy and the memories it brings?


Keep reading and dreaming. If there’s anything you’re curious about just drop me a note: MuseChrisChat@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for participating and leaving us a comment.