Pages

All Because of Chickens

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Saturday Morning Musings: We’re not the age our audience is

Another Saturday and I'm still missing the old mornings of nothing but cartoons.

Hope your week went well.

As both an editor and reviewer I've wondered and am asking our authors today...How do you keep your own teen years' experience out of your story, given the time period differences?



Working in a senior school gave me ample opportunity to see how teenagers behave and to observe how their lives differ from my teenage years. I'm currently writing the sequel to 'DAFFODIL AND THE THIN PLACE' which takes place during the First World War, so I've had to think about the difference between teenagers in 1916 and Daffodil, who is a twenty-first century teenager. However, although technology and circumstances have changed over the years, I think that teenagers of today still experience uncertainty and lack of confidence - I don't think that has changed much over the years.


I think a little bit of my teen years’ experience creep into my stories. But I try to focus on how today’s teenager would handle the situation. Also I see what my teenagers have gone through. I watch a lot of teen type shows. I read a lot of MG and YA novels.

Keep reading and dreaming. If there’s anything you’re curious about just drop me a note: MuseChrisChat@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for participating and leaving us a comment.