Pages

All Because of Chickens

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Refresh: Saturday Morning Musings - Industry failing the genre?


Hi, again, Saturday Musers.

Now as part of the small publisher industry, maybe we shouldn't be asking this...then again, maybe it's the best question we could ask:

Would you say the publishing industry is failing our MG/Tween/YA audience? How?



The larger mainstream publishing houses are reputed to follow the trends and to avoid taking risks with new writers or writing. This could limit the types of books available, thus failing readers. However, smaller, indie publishers often give unknown writers a chance, ensuring that overall, there is a wide range of books available for readers and so, I think that one way or another, the industry is serving our audience well.



I think there are too much horror and dystopian stories as well as stories of great loss. I don’t think we are providing the right role models for these kids. People like Cassandra Clay create characters that do despicable things in the name of trying to do good. I think we need characters that will not be committing violence or doing unethical things. I feel kids want a good story with which they can identify. As authors we have a responsibility to give them that and also to help them to become better people. Teens are very vulnerable to changing ideas and that is why our role is so important.



No, I don’t think so at all. The variety of books available to younger readers today is amazing. It seems when I was a girl, I read every teen book I could get my hands on, from the classics to those “squeaky clean romances”, as our school librarian used to call them. I eventually sought out adult books to fill my insatiable reading appetite. Now, I can’t keep up with all the great YA books available. Whatever the subject matter you’re looking for, you’re bound to find something to satisfy your reading needs.  It’s wonderful.


Keep reading and dreaming. If there’s anything you’re curious about just drop me a note: MuseChrisChat@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for participating and leaving us a comment.